Car Maintenance: What and When
Cars are machines, whose parts suffer wear and tear with continuous use and must be adjusted to work optimally and extend the life of the vehicle. For this reason, the maintenance of the car is one of those tasks that can't and shouldn't be postponed, even when everything seems to go entirely, the car is new, and you are very careful. It is better to invest a moderate amount every specific time than having to spend a significant amount of money for a major failure that could be prevented or, worse, expose you to suffer a traffic accident that puts your life or your loved ones at risk.
You should do the maintenance at 3, 6, 12, 18, 25, 30 and 60 thousand kilometers. This maintenance includes a general overhaul including brake system, cooling, electrical system, suspension, and tires, plus certain changes and adjustments. There are basic aspects to be done in each maintenance, while other processes will become much more detailed as the car begins to wear out.
In all the maintenance you must:
- Change the engine oil, air filter, and oil filter.
- Check the tires, check the pressure and wear of the treads.
- Check and complete if necessary the brake fluid, battery water, antifreeze, among others.
In addition to the basics,
At 3000 miles you must:
- Check the clutch tension and motor belts, to replace it if necessary.
- Lighting system review
- Revision of the electrical system: alternator, starting, among others.
- Check board indicators
At 6,000 m, you must:
- Revision of the electrical system
- Search and correct oil leaks
- Joint inspection, intake system, and engine hoses
- Check brake and brake pedal tension
- Alignment and balancing
- Rotate wheels
- Motor wash
at 12,000 miles you must:
- Check for oil leaks
- Check the state of articulations and admission systems
- Check the condition of the engine, its supports, exhaust systems, hoses
- Revision of bands and brake tension
- Greasing of rear wheel bearing
At 18,000 m you should check:
- Change of brake pads
- A shift in steering oil, transmission oil, gearbox oil and rear bands.
- Revision of the emergency brake and brake pedal
- Check the clutch tension
- Verification and change of the engine belts (Air conditioning, alternator, and steering)
- Wheel rotation.
At 30,000 and 60,000 miles:
- Change of brake pads, steering oil, brake fluid and clutch
- Replacement of spark plugs
- Revision and replacement of high cables, motor belts, timing belts
-Verify clutch tension, engine belts, and brakes
- Wheel rotation.
- Alignment and full swing
- Synchronize the engine
- Suspension adjustment